Helping the little hands...
Updated: Sep 7
As a parent, we want to stay on top of things when it involves our kids. Be it their food, activities, studies or health. When it comes to their health, mouth is the gateway to their overall health.
Here are a few tips to help your children with their home care:
1. Set an example for your child by taking care of your own oral health. When the kids watch their parents do it, they want to follow you.
2. Make their brushing routine as a game and interesting.
3. Allow them to brush their teeth and floss their teeth. But for children up to 8 years of age, provide help and monitor their oral care routine.
4. Use an electric toothbrush for an enjoyable experience and making it easier for them.
5. Allow them to pick their own toothbrush, floss, toothpaste. Let them feel responsible in making a choice for their own dental health.
6. Explain in their own words about how cavities can hurt the teeth, make teeth look ugly and hurt them.
7. Reward them with points for their good brushing habits. Create a positive reinforcement and praise them for their good habits.
8. Be regular with their dental visits to the dentist and the hygienist at least every 6 months as new teeth are erupting and changes need to be monitored.
Dr. Sharmila Shettigar